Oh Canada



I am Canadian. I am proud of it. I was born in Alberta and have lived in Alberta all my life. Alberta is one of the most prosperous provinces in Canada. It is a beautiful place. Canada is known as a peaceful nation. A kind nation. However as a Canadian I can sometimes say that Canadians attitudes sometimes become very lofty. Sometimes some and I say some Canadians not all by anymeans think that Canada is the best and no place is as good and that nothing bad happens in Canada. Well let me tell you Canada has its share of problems too. Let me say first that I have traveled quite a bit in the US. Both alone and with my husband. I have been down there for pleasure, for business, and for racing. I have been to a number of different states and have been met with a wonderful welcoming. As soon as I utter a sentence people peg me as Canadian. I wonder why eh? So many Canadians that have never travelled view the US as just a hotbed of criminal activities. They overlook what is going on in their own country. A blind eye is turned.
After the Columbine School shooting, the news was this could NEVER happen in Canada, well it did. SHortly after in a very small town in Alberta a boy took a gun to school and shot and killed someone before being disarmed.
Last year there were huge headlines that four police were shot. Canadians initial impression was it had happened south of the border. Well guess what those four police were RCMP officers that were shot and killed in an ambush in a very small Alberta town. It is heartbreaking.
A few weeks ago a 12 year old girl and her 20 something boyfriend were charged for killing her mom dad and 8 year old brother. Since then another teen has been charged with accessory after the fact. A small town in Alberta.
A few days ago a group of teens as young as 13 beat a father of four to death. Again in a small town in Alberta.
In BC two 13 year olds and a 14 year old have been charged with robbing 7 banks over the last few weeks. This is in the Vancouver area.
A leader in one of the crystal meth gangs in Canada came forward and talked to reporters to tell them that the meth labs have free rein in Canada. They can pretty much do as they please. Why did he come forward? He says to tell the truth. I think to start a drug war or escalate it. What shocked me even more were police being interviewed saying he is right. We can't do anything about it.
A man is beaten to death on a public transporation bus in Edmonton by a group of teens and all the other passengers just sat and watched.
These things weight heavily on me. I worry about living in a society that is slowing deteriorating like this. I worry about my children having to grow up in this environment.
If people would "wake up and smell the roses" do something now, not let it escalate we would all be better off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 19 is a rough day

Well I made it and I survived it

Back to school