Costco-Michelin-Nitrogen

This is a long convoluted story.
I needed new tires on my sidekick prior to winter hitting. DH did the price checking and came up with the fact that we could get good winter Michelins at Costco for a good price. So in November he takes the sidekick there on a Sunday Morning to get them installed. 4 brand new tires are installed and he drives it home. About 5 miles. Sidekick is parked inside the garage. Bitterly cold weekend, and then on Monday forecast for more snow and even colder. I had been driving the Grand Caravan but wanted the 4x4 to be safer. Monday morning I go out to start my sidekick (affectionately known as Puff) and the front tire is totally utterly flat. Not an ounce of air in it. Now I should not say air I should say nitrogen, cause that is what they fill new tires with now, NItrogen. Supposedly is better for the tires and holds better. So I am driving the Caravan all week long (hubby is out of town) in miserable cold and bad snowy icy roads. A bad weather week. Hubby gets home and takes it in on Saturday to get the tire looked at. They refill it check for leaks and say nothing. So on Sunday in the middle of a snow storm and cold again I go to take the sidekick and a different tire is totally flat. SO DH goes back to Costco for the third time and MAKES them unmount and remount all 4 of the tires. The weather warmed up significantly after that. I drove the sidekick as I usually do. Now we get a blizzard this week, but the temps were not all that cold. UNtil the blizzard stopped late yesterday and then the temperture plumeted. 39 below this morning. And guess what I have another flat tire. A rear one this time. Now it is possible I picked up a grader blade or something however I just have to wonder if Nitrogen just does not take to the cold?????????
SO my little $9.98 Canadian Tire air pump was used to put air into the tire and my butt near froze off in 39 below weather this morning. Son was already in his car seat when I did my walk around so he was quite concerned that we weren't going anywhere and started to cry. SO here I am trying to get the air in the tire, calm him down, and keep from freezing. arggggggg

Comments

Cheyenne said…
Wow that's quite a story. I certainly would look into the fact that the cold had a lot to do with the tire problem. I have never had to deal with a flat tire in my life (knock on wood) and I hope I never have to in the future.
Paula... said…
Now you would think a tyre mob would know if the nitrogen could withstand the cold or not - how strange. I'm sure glad you had that cheapo pump :)

Popular posts from this blog

April 19 is a rough day

Well I made it and I survived it

Using February 2024 Template Bundle by Connie Prince