The K sage continues

The principal of the elementary school calls me. I spend 3/4 hour on phone with her.

She is apologizing that the K teacher asked DS to leave after two days. She is saying that he just wasn't given a fair chance. What person can totally transition within two days? She can now offer some things.

a temporary education assistant to be assigned to DS while in kindergarten until his doctors appointment at the end of the month

a entry position in pre - k, but the one at the school is full, but there is an opening at one across the city

again she apologizes saying the K teacher should not have asked him to leave

I tell her the upheaval it caused, I had to terminate my part time care, the school bus, that DS was heartbroken he could not go to school, that DD was upset about it as well,

She then tells me that I am much nicer than she would have thought given the circumstances. arrrrgggggggg

Apparently she looked into it because when I went to the office Monday to withdraw DS, the receptionist told her I was very upset. YA THINK, arrrrrgggggg

She did not know that the K teacher had asked me on Friday not to return him. She did not know there were transition issues. I had told the K teacher in June and again before K started about him needing warnings about changes.

She asked me what my course of action would be. I told her right now I was content with DS at the daycare kindergarten. I told her that I did expect a positive grade one to happen next year, and that I would be in her office if there were issues.

DS hates going to daycare, hates it, but once he is there he does reasonably well. He has demonstrated some transition issues there but with three adults to ten kids it is dealt with positively. He is not experiencing a negative self image. And I know in my heart he is okay because when I go to pick him up he does not want to leave.

What did she expect me to say? I got the feeling that somehow some rule that I don't know about was broken by the school. She repeated probably ten times that he should not have been asked to leave, that the school was open to all students "good, bad or ugly". That there is no door shut, that the door is always open if I change my mind. She also said that she would ensure that if he was re-enrolled in K that there would be no repurcussions from the teacher.

I appreciate her calling and apologizing. I feel in my heart that my son was not given a fair chance. That this negative experience will stay with him. I hope not but I think it will.

I also expressed my extreme displeasure of being told that he had hit the teacher. I had specifically asked how he came to pull back and hit you deliberately. I was then told that he was having a tantrum and she had gotten in his way. There is a huge difference between being told Friday afternoon that he hit the teacher and had to be removed from the room, to being told Sunday night that he was having a tantrum, was flailing around, and had hit her. Huge difference in my mind.

My actions were based on that he had done deliberate physical violence to a person in control of the room. I could totally understand the teacher not wanting to teach him under those circumstances and asking him to be removed from her room. However when those were not the actual circumstances, I believe that my course of action that I chose was based on misinformation.

I have a bitter taste in my mouth over this, I hope DS can get past it, and I hope this year at daycare goes well academically, and socially development wise, I hope that next year when he enters grade one at the school that it will be positive.

Thank you all who have read this saga from the beginning, and left your comments, and emailed me your thoughts and advice, I do appreciate it. HUGS to you all.

Comments

Cheyenne said…
I would hope that the K teacher got a reprimand or at least a good talking to from the school authorities for what she did to your son.
You are far more patient than I would have been given those circumstances.
Paula... said…
You're a better woman than me for keeping it together so well under the circumstances. The public system over here cannot refuse to take a child unless they have been given countless courses of reprimand and eventuall expelled, in which case they must relocate to another school.

It seems to me the teacher concerned had made up her mind that she did not want your DS in her class and went out of her way make that happen - even going behind the principal's back. I certainly hope she is well and truly put back in her place and made to apologise personally to you also!!!!
Cheri Pryor said…
I just read all your latest posts about ds and Kindergarten. I'm so sorry, Sherri. I know you were hoping this would go better. Hopefully you will get some answers to his behavior/situation during his doctor's appointment. Hugs and prayers....I know it's difficult.

And btw...I would be kicking ass and taking names. That teacher deserves some harsh reality checks. Your son needs someone on his side, not someone in that kind of position to derail any chance for success. Grrr!!

Popular posts from this blog

April 19 is a rough day

Well I made it and I survived it

Back to school