False Start

My heart goes out to my little one. He trys so hard in this world, and I want what is best for him. When his kindergarten teacher called me Friday she said my option was to keep him at home until his Doctors appointment at the end of September or to hold him back from kindergarten completely for another year. DH called her as well and she explained another option of PAC. (don't know what the letters stand for). She told DH she would call on the weekend to explain things more to me. She called last night at 9:15. She explained these options to me. One was to put him on a waiting list for pre-k. There he would learn a little literacy and have a little less structure in his day. He could also go for the PAC evaluation. Which is a six week evaluation where I go with him each day and he gets evaluated. I could keep him home with me for another year. and then she says or if you do send him back on Monday I will do my best to work with him. ?????WTH. I asked details of his day. He was reluctant and outright refusal to comply with directions. He had tantrums, and banged his head on the floor. She also said he would get up from circle time and spin in circles. In her opinion they were definite indicators of autism. Myself and daycare have never seen him exhibit the spinning, other than for fun. His head banging goes back to when he was in the crib.
On Friday I had called daycare, and they were willing to take him back. So this morning while DD went off to school on the bus DS was driven to daycare by me. He wasn't thrilled, but there was not outright tantrum either. He will be in the ECS room, early childhood something. Kindergarten is taught there in the morning, and he will be exposed to it. There will not be the total emphasis on K though, he will be there as a extra in the room, absorbing what he will, but without the pressure. I hope it works out. It was a very difficult decision to make, and yes the fact that I am a working mom plays heavily in the solution.
Then the K teacher says to me, he would be so much better off at home with you for the year getting one on one attention. argggg, I didn't need to hear that.

Comments

Paula... said…
I'm so glad you managed to get it sorted - I think the exposure he will be receiving now in the mornings will be good for him and maybe help a little with the adjustment next year.

I don't really agree that the best place is at home with you - how else is he going to learn that he needs to follow a structure and routine set-out by a learning institution. Home rules and routine are one thing, but it's another to learn this away from home where other children have to be factored into the equation too IYKWIM.
Cassandra said…
Big Hugs. I know you will do the right thing for your son. Youre a great mom.

Popular posts from this blog

April 19 is a rough day

Well I made it and I survived it

Back to school