Reasonable expectation of safety




Reasonable expectation of safety. In the morning as I put my child on the school bus I have the expectation she will arrive safely at her destination. By her riding the bus it saves me time, and gas, and it gives her something to assert control over. I grew up in a rural area, the school bus was something that was taken. It just was. It was unheard of for parents to drive their kids into town to school. We live in the city now, but since there are no schools in our neighborhood you have the choice of busing your kids at no charge or driving them yourself. DD so looked forward to starting grade one and being able to take the school bus. It is something I did, so I let her to.
There have been three fatalities involving school buses in this area in the last year. Two of them involving gravel trucks. It is scary. Yesterday morning when I heard of the accident, then by noon they released that it was a fatality, then by three they released the name. A small rural area, devastated by the accident.
My prayers go out to all those involved in this accident. Those that lost a loved one, and those that were affected by it. Having been in a fatality accident myself it is something that lives with you forever. I still remember the stranger that stopped that fateful day and held my hand. I never new the name nor ever found out who it was, but that hand holding meant the world to me at the time.
Slow down, be safe, drive appropriately to the road conditions, do not turn your wheels into a turn, keep them straight. And believe that you do have the reasonable expectation of safety.

Comments

Michelle said…
I agree, you do have this level of perceived safety. It's not until many of these accidents happen that your perceptions change - like Amtrak - they have a bad reputation for wrecks.
Cheri Pryor said…
So sad. And so hard to believe there have been so many bus accidents in your area. *sigh*
Jenny said…
That is indeed very sad
Rochelle said…
This is very sad.

My mom was in a terrible accident and was written off by the doctors before God intervened. But while my mom laid on the desert floor after her car rolled a semi driver stopped his route, called 911, and held my mom's hand until she was air lifted away. My mom doesn't remember much for many months, but we are all thankful for that man who stayed by her side.
Leslie said…
how scary. I drive my kids to school. I know they aren't too much safer in my car than a bus...I can get in an accident too. But I prefer that extra safety by taking them myself; its a perk I guess of being a SAHM if you can call it one. I will keep these families in my prayers.
Paula... said…
That is so sad :( We don't have free school buses here, so you either drive, walk or pay for public transport.
There was a horrific accident in NZ yesterday also - 6 students and a teacher died whilst on a school camp. They were swept away by flash flooding rushing through a gorge.
It really makes you want to wrap your childen up in cotton wool and not allow them to travel by bus or go on school camps, but you also have to let them experience life IYKWIM.

Popular posts from this blog

April 19 is a rough day

Well I made it and I survived it

Using February 2024 Template Bundle by Connie Prince