The Black Hole

My memory has improved substantially over time, which is really scary as it's what I consider terrible today.
I don't have a diagnosis for it.  If it's from the SCAs, if it's from the hypothermia treatment, if it's an actual brain injury.  
After my SCAs I didn't know what certain things were.  A pizza that had been in my life for twenty years, I had no idea what it was. I didn't know how to eat it, if I liked it, or even if I wanted to eat it.  Kids laughed at me.
 I couldn't remember the simple letters ICD.  I called it "that thing".
Spelling, grammar, punctuation, math all took a severe hit. I couldn't read a book.
I lost everything from fall of 2009 till my SCAs in 2012. I can get senses of dejuvue at times but not the memorie.  Saying or typing a certain word escapes me.  I'll change an entire paragraph to avoid word usage.
I can do things, or participate in a conversation, and a day, a week, a month later I have no idea it happened.  If I think of paying bills that must mean I paid them right? No. 
It's all frustration, being tired, being anxious, is all overwhelming which makes it all worse.
I was told what I had back by the end of the second year is what I would have back.   That's a month away.  I'm not back. :(
I was a certified management accountant. Numbers were a second nature to me.  I lived them, breathed them, manipulated them.  After my SCAs I couldn't help my fourth grade son with math homework.  I still can't remember the times tables.  Addition or subtraction is often wrong.  It's devastating.
Much of a persons identity is tied to memory.  I call it my gray time but really it's a huge black hole sucking in and destroying everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 19 is a rough day

Well I made it and I survived it

Back to school